John Mollicone’s Sparcraft with crew Geoff Becker, Nick Turney, Dan Borrer and Jeff Hayden have been crowned 2023 J/24 Midwinter Champions. Two final light-air races went in the books Sunday for a total of seven at Eau Gallie Yacht Club in Indian Harbour Beach, FL. Al Constants’ Blitz topped the 19-boat Corinthian division with family crew David, Michael and Steve, and David Hammond. Mollicone and Constants earned berths for the 2024 World Championship in Seattle, WA (one Open and one Corinthian). Tony Parker’s Bangor Packet won both of Sunday’s matches to claim second place on a tie-breaker over Travis Odenbach’s Honeybadger.
Top Three Overall:
- Sparcraft, John Mollicone, [9/SCP]-1-1-1-4-2-2- ; 11
- Bangor Packet, Tony Parker, -2-5-8-2-1-1- ; 19T
- Honeybadger, Travis Odenbach, 4-3-3-3-1--5- ; 19T
Top Three Corinthian:
- Blitz, Alfred Constants, 8-5--4-5-5-11- ; 38
- Caramella, Frederick Wiedeke, -12-12-7-7-9-3- ; 50
- Classic, James Howard, 5-10--14-12-6-4- ; 51
Twenty-eight boats competed from February 24-26. Photos are posted on the USA J/24 Class Facebook page, and complete results are available at https://www.regattanetwork.com/event/25481#_home.